Friday, July 21, 2006

Eyman may not have enough signatures to get on the ballot:

Today's Seattle P-I is reporting that Tim Eyman may not have enough signatures to get I-917 on the ballot.

This is good news. I-917 (PDF) would gut our transit systems, kill freight mobility projects that are necessary to our state's economic health, and probably result in putting more of the cost of roads on citizens like me who don't drive on them. Granted, I'm not against paying for our infrastructure - I certainly benefit from it - but we don't have a level playing field when we're so heavily subsidizing highways, so we don't see the alternatives that are so readily available in other cities and countries.

5 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Blogger EvergreenRailfan said...

I am not sure if this is good or bad news. It could be false information, or a leak in the Secretary of State's office. Still, some of these freight mobility projects, funded by future weight fees, could help speed faster Amtrak Service through not just Western Washington but also Western Washington. With gas prices rising higher than the 9.5 cent Gas Tax Hike, it would be nice to see some alternatives in place. We cannot treat spikes ing as prices as short term supply disruptions anymore.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Ben Schiendelman said...

I doubt it's false information - all those numbers are public record.

I've got a CD from WSDOT outlining all the projects necessary for improved Cascades service now. I'm making time soon to work on the Wikipedia article based on that.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger EvergreenRailfan said...

Well, Eyman feels he is being persecuted, cannot believe that voters are fed up with him to the point that they will not sign his initiatives.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger EvergreenRailfan said...

Well, if it does not make the ballot, he is already working on his revenge against one of his biggest enemies. The (elected) people that inhabit the glass building between 4th and 5th Avenues and James and Cherry Streets in Downtown Seattle.

I am not sure if I am going to vote for the property tax for street improvements, but I would like Eyman to do something in Snohomish County first. Like fight any street improvements for Mukilteo.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/282073_eyman22.html?source=rss

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger EvergreenRailfan said...

I am not celebrating too much, for it is not official yet, but a public records request for a progress report has some interesting news. The count is not over yet, but it is not yet statistically possible for it to make the ballot.

http://www.kiro710.com/Article.asp?id=270103&spid=6581

 

Post a Comment

<< Home